Thursday, February 4, 2016

17 Years Ago....Oh What A Night

       Seventeen years ago you finally asked me to go for a soda after work.  I was working a part time job at the mini mart and I didn't get off until 11:30 pm.  I was so excited.  I had only talked to you two or three times.  But I knew you were special.  I told my Mom and my friends about the tall redheaded Deputy that would drive through the lot to do his zone checks, smile and wave to me.  Then you actually came into the store and I was training Odessa, it was her first day on the job.  Thank God crazy little Odessa spoke up for me and said you should ask me out.  She worked there two days, just long enough to get us to speak to each other.  I often wonder whatever happened to her, she was like a short, plump fairy godmother.  That night you met me at the store after work and we got into your patrol car and went to the Huddle House to talk.  I was on cloud nine.  You finally asked if you could take me to dinner and a movie the next night.  I almost couldn't wait to say yes.  Then duty called and you had to go back to work and I had to go home.
     As I was driving home, I was thinking about where we were going, what I was going to wear and what would happen next.  I pulled up into my little rented duplex, smiling to myself as I got out of the car.  I hadn't really noticed the porch light was out.  Until he grabbed my head from behind and slammed me into the door.  I was forced into my own home and he was yelling at me about you.  Wanted to know who you were, what did I think I was doing?  He hit me with a closed fist and knocked me on to the couch.  I was trying to defend myself and block his blows and that was when he grabbed my baseball bat by the door.
     You know hindsight is 20/20, a baseball bat is a lousy means of home protection or self defense, unless you are the one who grabs it first.  It was my neighbor John.  John and I had a history, but it was long over, it had been over two years.  But, I had never showed an interest in anyone else.  As it turned out, he had been watching me while I was at work from the truck stop across the street.  He had seen me talking to you, he had seen me smiling and happy, he had seen me get into your patrol car and he had seen us go to the Huddle House.
     He was furious, yelling and swinging that damn bat.  My knee and legs took the worst of it.  At least that is what I thought at the time.  Then he forced me to leave my home and go to his.  He was smart in a sense, he made sure there were no neighbors at home, there was no where I could run and no one would here me yell.  As he forced me into his house and raised the bat to strike me again, I reached out to grab it.  I had a hold of it, it took him by surprise.  I was hoping I could get the upper hand and turn this thing around.  It just made him madder and he jammed the bat into my forehead just above my right eyebrow.  I saw stars and started to fade as the blood poured down my face.  He grabbed my hair and threw me to the couch and screamed not to get blood of his furniture.  Then as he saw the blood pouring from my head, started to try to stop the bleeding and was trying to care for me.  Telling me he was sorry.  That he would do anything to take it back....What a psycho!  I told him not to touch me, then he starting ranting about how the Police Chief was his friend and that they wouldn't believe anything I said and that if I did say anything, he would make sure it was the last thing I said.  It was a long scary night, he finally pushed me out the door and back to my house, where he sat all night making sure I would not call anyone.
     Early in the morning, he just left.  I jumped up and locked the doors, got in the shower and looked in the mirror at my black eye and the nasty cut on my forehead.  The phone started ringing and it was him again.  Wanting to know why I liked you, wanting to know why I wouldn't give him another chance, if there was anyway we could work it out...He is a nut!  I grabbed my keys and got in the car and headed for the hospital.  The whole time thinking about what he said about his friend the Chief.  My head hurt so bad, I just wanted to get it and my knee checked out.  The "Good Ole Boy" system was strong down here in the South at that time.  So I decided I wouldn't say anything, I'd just tell them I fell.
     I went to the Emergency Room, they took me right away.  They questioned me about my injuries and I stupidly told them I fell.  Well, they weren't so stupid, they called the Police for suspected domestic violence.  I couldn't believe this was happening to me.  The Officer questioned me and I stuck to my story.  Then he scared me to death..."Miss, if you don't tell me what happened and who did this, I will take you to jail for withholding information".  Oh My God, and he worked at the Department where John's friend was the Chief.  What am I going to do?  I told him I wanted to talk to Don Mumford from the Sheriff's Office.  He replied that Don wasn't working that day.  That he did concrete work on the side and was off.  Thank the Lord you had given me your number.  I called you and told you I needed help and was at the Hospital.  You dropped everything, cancelled your concrete and drove from Brunswick to Camden.  You came in hugged me, talked to me and handled everything.  You filed the reports, you got the warrants and you kept me safe with you until my parents could get in from Pennsylvania.
     You took me shopping for clothes, you insisted on taking me for that fancy dinner on St. Simons Island, even though people were looking at you like you were such a creep.  When actually you were my White Knight, you rescued me and took care of me.  You gave up your bed for me that night insisting I stay with you until the next day when my parents arrived.  A perfect Gentlemen, I knew that you were special, but I never thought it would go this far that we would soon be married and that I could have ever loved you so much.  So, this is such a bittersweet day for me, I got my ass kicked but I got to walk away with my Redneck Prince Charming.  Anyway Baby, Happy Anniversary of our first and very memorable date.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, Debbie, I had read somewhere in a FB comment in the past few months how Don had saved your life, and didn't want to ask specifics. I am happy you shared this....but so sad that it happened, yet happy that it ended with you and Don together. Thank you for sharing. xoxo Karyn Kelly

    ReplyDelete