Saturday, January 2, 2016

Debbie, What do you mean: No Frills

     I had a friend ask me what I meant by "No Frills".  I had to chuckle, years ago my Mom shopped at Pathmark Supermarket in Pennsylvania and they had a brand called "No Frills".  There were no fancy ad campaigns, no pretty packages, no hype, just a white label with the name of the item.  Basically, what you see is what you get.  I guess that is the way I see myself:  what you see is what you get, especially when it comes to frills or frilly things.  My poor Mom so wanted a girly girl, one in frilly dresses, hair curled, make up and an office job.  Instead she got me: A blue jeans, t-shirt and boots kinda girl, a tomboy, a blue collar worker, a bit of a Redneck, a girl who doesn't mind getting her hands dirty, who likes driving an old pick up truck, running the dirt roads and who wants nothing...absolutely nothing to do with frilly dresses.  Thank God she loves me for who I am. 
    So anyway, the way I see it, a person should not have to put on airs for anyone.  If you can't accept me for who I really am, why should I try to be something I'm not? 
     So getting to know me: here are a few things about me and how I am.  I like to think of myself as an Optimist, things can always change, they can get better, it can be fixed and people are good at heart.  I try to be happy, cheerful and helpful.  I try to see the bright side of life and the good in all people.  This doesn't mean that I don't get sad, angry or mad, I just try to not let in get me down or dwell on it.  I try not to gossip, if it doesn't effect me or is outside my bubble, I let it go.  This does not mean I don't care about what happens to others because I do, I always seems to stand up for the underdog.  But people's personal business is just that...personal, if they want me to know, they will tell me. I don't have to pick it from the Grapevine and it certainly is not my place to make public.
     I am however; a smart ass and I know it.  I can be flippant at times, I am quick with a comeback, I specialize in Sarcasm and even considered brash and bold.  I often tell my friends and family...I'm not right in the head, I'm weird and I know it and I'm OK with it.  But in my defense, I work with men all day, I have done this for 24 years, I am a product of my environment...and besides...someone has to keep them in line....just kidding.  In all seriousness, I would have it no other way.  I love my job and I love my guys.  In the world of political correctness, sexual harassment and sensitive feelings, with my guys I don't have to worry about this, we aren't politically correct, sexual innuendo runs rampant among us and we all know better than to bring our feelings to work.  We do our work and try to have fun and laugh at the same time.  They are the Best.  They accept me for who I am, but they will be quick to agree that I'm not right in the head!  Ha
     I am bad about not always letting people get close to me.  I have lots of friends and I love them all, but rarely do any get to the inner sanctum.  As my friend Al says, I have high block and concrete protective walls built up around me.  He says he is going to knock them down one day.  I tend to be friends with men more than women.  Maybe because I work with them all day and I know they have my back and I can trust them.  Don't get me wrong, I have female friends, not many close ones, but I have a some.
     Currently, I am suffering.  Suffering the loss of my husband of 15 years, My Don.  My life damn near revolved around Don for the last 2 1/2 years after his accident and many medical problems.  This I try to do alone.  You know how it is, I don't want people to see me cry.  Anyway, I don't think I am going to heal as quickly as I thought.  There is a very large void in my life now.  Since I have those so called...big old walls around me.  I don't emotionally share this loss with anyone and I am good with that, it's the way I am made.  I don't mind being alone, well, I'm never alone, I have my furbabies and they are the only one's who really know all my secrets.
   That, my friends is where you come in.  Ha ha, you can't see me crying while I'm at the computer.  So. I am hoping you will allow me to share the good times and the bad with you through my writing.  Help me push through this difficult journey and maybe through this I can get an understanding of why things happen the way they do and why God works the way he does.  I miss Don something terrible.
     Well, here I go again getting off track, that seems to happen a lot lately.  I have been seriously lacking focus lately.  Anyway this is me..."No Frills", what you see is basically what you get.  I hope I don't offend anyone and if I unintentionally hurt your feelings, please bring it to my attention.  I welcome any and all constructive criticism, positive feedback or ideas to get me through this.  Remember it is a new year, a new chapter, you can always find a reason to be grateful and remember there is ALWAYS someone who has it worse than you do.  When you look at the big picture, objectively, we often see how Blessed we are and that our troubles or problems are minor and petty in the game of life.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment