Saturday, January 9, 2016

Time For A Little Road Trip, Dirt Road Therapy and Maybe Some Healing

     So far, today has been a good day.  Gracie, one of my fur babies, she's the little poodle, and I headed out early this morning around 6:00 am or so.  I would like to say Bright and early, but Lord knows there has not been much bright in the Georgia weather lately.  Speaking of weather, I have noticed a lot of alerts about river flooding and such,  I know the Altamaha over flows its banks a lot in Everett and I was speaking to my friend Mike, he performed the service for Don.  I tried to give him a little something for his time and he wouldn't have anything to do with it.  But he and his lovely bride, Angie enjoy my photos of the Lumber City Bridge, they have a couple prints from when the water was low.  So I decided to ride up there in search of a "high water picture of the Lumber City Bridge which spans the Ocmulgee River" so I can give them something special.
     So Gracie and I headed out Highway 32 and stopped over by Zirkle for some dirt road therapy, a run in the woods and sure enough the water along the Little Satilla River was high.  It was a nice pleasant drive.  Of course, it would have been better if Don had been with me.  I never worried about truck trouble, breaking down or how far we were going whenever he was with me.  This morning before I left, I caught myself, checking the oil, water and power steering fluid, which is a good thing.  But it is something I never had to worry about.
     Lumber City is about a hundred miles or so from Brunswick.  We hit all the small towns, Patterson, Alma, Hazlehurst and of course Lumber City.  I could not believe how high the water was.  I had to flip a couple u-turns, I could hear Don in my head saying "You can't do that", oh yes I can.  I got there just in time to catch a freight train running across the bridge.  I wasn't even sure if they used it anymore....see you can learn something new everyday.  I did manage to get some good shots and then we continued on up to McRae, I wanted to photograph the windmill also.  (If you are interested in seeing some of the photos you can check out my blog "The Beauty That Surrounds Us" at:  http://wildlifepersonalities.blogspot.com/  .  That is my photography Blog.
     I think our trip was it long for Gracie, she was getting restless and a little whiny.  On our return trip we came straight down Highway 341 through Baxley, Jesup, Gardi and a quick stop by the Altamaha River in Everett City.  But the Police wouldn't let us close to the river.  The road was closed about a mile before the park due to flooding and all the woods were flooded and the drains were running fast.
     We finally arrived home around 4:00 pm, all in all it was a good day. I did get some good pics and I most certainly thought about and missed my Don, but at least my eyes weren't leaking all day and I was able to smile at my fond memories.  Maybe healing is possible...I wish it could always be this easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment